PDA

View Full Version : Is this feasable?

rookie
10-04-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a line on two relativaly small Russell punch presses. Know a guy who is going to be auctioning off a bunch of his equipment to downsize his shop a bit, so I could get one fairly cheap. My question is... could they be used as a power hammer or make shrinking dies for them as for a pulmax type machine?
It has variable speed and is recipicating. Waddya all think?

Thanks, Phil

tdoty
10-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Heya Phil!

I don't see why not ........................ but I haven't seen one either :D. If the frame looks sturdy enough, and there's a way to mount the tooling, it oughta work. I built my Anders Hammer with a 1 1/2", 1/8" wall square tube frame ......................... and it works for shrinking.

Sounds like it has some real potential!

Tim D.

Doug98105
10-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I have a line on two relativaly small Russell punch presses. Know a guy who is going to be auctioning off a bunch of his equipment to downsize his shop a bit, so I could get one fairly cheap. My question is... could they be used as a power hammer or make shrinking dies for them as for a pulmax type machine?
It has variable speed and is recipicating. Waddya all think?

Thanks, Phil

Punch presses can be dangerous, probably no where nearly as dangerous as helve hammers though.

If the presses don't have all the OSHA safety guarding, dual palm buttons, etc they should go cheap at auction. If they are safety equipped that boosts the price substantialy. I have an 8 ton Kenco and 10 ton Perkins I got for $25/each at auction (the Perkins does have complete OSHA safety setup, so I was lucky on that one).

I think they could be used for shaping, but keep in mind they are a fixed stroke machine, much more so than a P'max which has a little flex in the frame. Punch presses have no flex in the frame. Some sort of cushioning of the stroke would be a good idea to incorporate in your tooling.

Unless these presses are old they'll have a non-repeat mechanism built in. That's so when tripped it'll only cycle once by trip. Depending on the press's mechanism, it can be easy to disable so they can run continuously as long as the pedal (buttons) are held down.

My presses are used for shearing, punching, forming, rivetting, clinching PEM fasteners, etc. So if they don't work for shaping they have lots of other uses.

Doug

rookie
10-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried to buy it outright but everything has already been cataloged by the Auctioneer. So I'll have to try my luck next tuesday. He also has a 10' LeBlonde lathe and a couple Bridgeports going. But I don't have the extra room. Everything is 3 Phase though.

Later, Phil

1969robinhood
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Phil,
just get one of those phase inverter thing-a ma-jigs!!!!
put it on a plug in ...twist lock style...and you can use it for various machines.

philgritsr
10-06-2005, 05:58 AM
do you have anymore infor on the auction i might be interested
thanks phil

Doug98105
10-06-2005, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I tried to buy it outright but everything has already been cataloged by the Auctioneer. So I'll have to try my luck next tuesday. He also has a 10' LeBlonde lathe and a couple Bridgeports going. But I don't have the extra room. Everything is 3 Phase though.

Later, Phil

Those are Rouselle (sp?) punch presses, nice machines. They bring a little more money than the lesser brands like Alva Allen.

These don't appear to have any OSHA safety features and guarding. You may get lucky, high rollers from production shops usually don't bid on presses without guarding.

Doug

rookie
10-06-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Cant afford to spend much, MM in a couple weeks...but IF the price is right....

Phil, www.hilpipre.com Tuesday Oct11 in East Moline, IL.

See you guys soon, Phil

rookie
10-11-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi guys. Well I decided to pass on the punch presses but I did pick up a belt sander that I wanted there. It is a Rockwell 31-520 model with 9 new belts with it. I paid $150 for it, could have bought a 110 model at the store for about that but this thing should put up with all the abuse I throw at it!

All the best, Phil

Doug98105
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
$150 for the sander? That's a steal. I've got three of 'em, best 6" belt sander made.

Did you notice what the presses went for?

Doug

Kerry Pinkerton
10-11-2005, 06:00 PM
You did good Phil! Cheap belt sanders aren't worth the money! Trust me...Been there...done that...wasted the money and the time. FPM is the key thing in belt sanders/grinders and it takes a real motor to run one. These oneflugdum motors are rated in HP but poodles are more like it.

rookie
10-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies, Doug, Kerry.

No Doug I didn't, after paying for the sander I went over to a friends to grab his trailer. Will post a pic tomorrow.

Thanks Kerry, I hate buying cheap junk, myself. Every once in a while I stumble onto something good. Fortunately it's usually when I need it the worst!

See ya soon guy's, Phil

1969robinhood
10-11-2005, 07:33 PM
Good catch there Phil...as Kerry said the cheapo's just don't take the abuse...I have one...and compared to the Baldor unit at work....it stinks !!@!

I can really bear down on the one at work and not stall it out!

rookie
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks Matt, I have a friend who bought a cheapy, I wasn't too impressed, it pulled down with hardly any pressure. Gonna see you at MM?

Phil

norm47
10-13-2005, 07:50 PM
Phil-

Nice catch on the sander. Is that tank the one you were working on not too long ago? Nice flame layout.

Norm

tdoty
10-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey Phil,

Nice catch on the sander!

Is it just me, or is the anvil on your wheel a bit wonky in that pic?

Tim D.

Tisdelski
10-13-2005, 09:54 PM
hi phil, nice belt sander. is that _ondo dust all over the place??? tell me its not so.
gary

Spanky
10-14-2005, 07:28 AM
EEEECCCCKKKKK!is that what that stuff looks like?
I just figgr'd it was some sort of industrial fallout or sumpthin'
Good score, Phil!

1969robinhood
10-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah Phil....I will be at MM05....thurs morning sometime....with lots of coffee poured through me...:lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel like that little kid waiting for his BB gun at x-mas, waiting to get to MM05...

hope I don't have to go rescue Tim D. though...broke down somewhere....:-)

rookie
10-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

The 'dust' is about a gallon of Clear, Planet Green base, Organic Green Kandy with some Epoxy primer thrown in. I wish I could say it isn't the same tank but it is. You wouldn't believe the trouble that stupid tank gave me! I've got a tank roughed out for the E bay deal but spent all my time on that dang thing. I think I'm going to try to finish it in Oblong. My design may have overrun my ability though but what the heck!

Thanks, Norm, good to see you on again! I tend to lay my flames out til I'm happy with them, so far nobody has complained.

Hi Gary, Mike, Sadly, my metalshaping abilities aren't up there far enough to give up the crutch yet, but I'm trying!

Hey Tim! I knew somebody would catch that! I copied the cradle from one of Kerry's,(levelers,ect) works great! I just have to add a lock washer or nyloc.

Glad that you will be able to make it Matt, I don't think you need to worry about Tim making it...he's pretty gung ho about this stuff he'd PUSH the **** thing to Oblong if he had to!

See you all next week! Phil

PS: the lowers on my E wheel are a set of Joe's, LOVE 'EM!

Tisdelski
10-14-2005, 09:14 PM
hi phil, i`m just giving you a hard time. how much _ondo you put on is up to you.
gary

Boogiemanz1
10-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Phil, I've got an old Powermatic sander that is quite a bit like yours....I use the heck out of it...........john