PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a welding table

Rivetgeek
09-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Not sure which forum this should go in but this was the closest i could find.

I recently inherited a heavy used welding table. Its 100% steel and around 300 pounds. I love it but theres some surface rust and lots of gouges and scratches in the table top.

I dont mind the gouges but id like to clean up the surface to keep the rust and corrosion at bay, not to mention improve the conductivity of the table becasue right now its giving an inconsistant arc.

I had planned to use a DA sander to clean up the surface but my compressor just ate it and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I was thinking maybe a random orbital sander with like an 80 grit? Im not too concerned with finish but if i can get a nicer finish I wont argue.

Ive already used de-alcohol and a wire brush, and even though that did help, thats a lot of work and alcohol for a 6x9 table

THanks in advance for any advice

benchracer1
09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
naval jelly?

Rivetgeek
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Well I've gotten most of the surface stuff off. But its still really rough with a couple sharp nicks that I'd like to even out.

My question really is if a random orbit sander with 80 grit would do the job

Hairy-Neil
09-13-2005, 01:09 PM
I'd be inclined to try a 36 grit linishing pad on an angle grinder, preferably a 7 inch machine, at least to start with. The orbital would do it eventually but you'd be there all day.

Rivetgeek
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
Ive got a 9 inch grinder. But I'm not sure what a linishing pad is?

gator 1
09-13-2005, 01:41 PM
The table i have is 7 x 12 and had some surface rust on it. I took a 9 inch grinder and a 80 grit pad and hit the whole table. After the grinder i used a da with a 120 grit pad to clean and smooth out the table. A good shot of WD 40 and i was in buisness. It all depends on what your going to do with the table and how often its used. If its for frame jigs then a little more care but if just a welding table then dont overcomplicate things. Welding splatter. dragging steel across the surface and if your like me some painting and drilling on it. Its your call just wanted you to look at all the angles before spending countless hours that dont add up to anything.Good luck Gator

Hairy-Neil
09-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Ive got a 9 inch grinder. But I'm not sure what a linishing pad is?

Its just another name for a flexible abrasive disc. Usually they are attached with a central flanged nut to a rubber backing pad but some modern types are velcro backed. Available from 3M stockists the world over.

1969robinhood
09-13-2005, 02:28 PM
A 7" or 9" grinder with a 60-80 grit sanding disk will knock it down pretty quick...and finish with a finer grit like 120-180 if you need smoothness...don't forget to keep moving around...if you dwell in one place long you will make a dip in the table surface you may not want at a later time when mocking up a frame or something similar...just my 2 cents...good luck!

FriarTuck
09-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Gator's on it. When ever I finish a project, I hit the whole table (or at least the areas I messed up) with a 9" 60-80 grit sanding disc. Cleans up all the "bacon grease" :lol: and keeps the corrosion down.

gearhead1
09-26-2005, 07:28 PM
The sanding disc is the way to go. (36 to 50 grit) Even if you only have a 4 1/2" angle grinder....I always use one to knock off spatter following up with a pass of my hand to look for straglers. My bench is a 4' x 10' and is still nearly perfect. If you have square edges on your table, it will keep these nice and clean if you are carefull. (I hate spatter on the front edge of a work bench...rips the threads)