PDA

View Full Version : shopfox vs grizzly

Rivetgeek
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey all. New member. Yadda Yadda. I make stuff.

Anywho, I'm in the market for a new bandsaw.

Anyone know the difference between

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cfm?itemnumber=G1010

and

http://www.shopfoxtools.com/w1715

I've heard that grizzly makes shopfox as their "upper line" but it seems to me the grizzly looks a little sturdier. Anybody have experience with shopfox?

PaulG
06-30-2005, 02:56 PM
Grizzly doesn't MAKE anything. They import all that stuff from some country that has a real long wall.

If your gonna buy a cheep band saw you ,might as was go cheep all the way: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37151

PS: it's the same one. And if you have HF store local you won't have to wait 6 months for shipping.

jvo
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
And check out my post on Offshore box & pan brake-- this stuff, I suspect is put together by 12 year old girls. (No offense to the ladies, just kidding)

Be prepared to do a little "tinkering" with this cheaper line of stuff. John V.O.

no999gr
06-30-2005, 09:25 PM
You may want to check here--http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/--RG

rsanter
07-01-2005, 06:43 AM
I have had a couple of the ones from HF and they have held up fairly well. do not expect precise cutting. it will be ok of you want to use it as a cut off saw. its a backache to use in the upright position.
I have seen the version from JET and you cannot tell the difference other than the color and the price.

bob

Rivetgeek
07-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Hrm. Point taken. Anything thats a duplicate of an HF tool isnt for me. So can anyone recommend a couple brands/models in the $500-$1000 range? I figured $200 wasnt gonna get much, and frankly I've never had the mysterious luck that some people claim with hf products.

I'd prefer something that does vert and horz but id rather get a decent vert than a crappy combo.

FriarTuck
07-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Jet = 3/4 hp
Grizzly = 1/2 hp
HF = 1/3 hp

Flimsy legs, stout legs, stouter legs....(not in any particular order)

They all cut about the same stuff, with about the same accuracy.
Grizzly and Shop Fox is sold in the same catalog from Grizzly, but they are the same stuff from China painted proprietary colors. Jet just has their own line, but inports from the same ISO factories that the others do. Powermatic claims "Made in USA", but I have used their stuff, and I presently have $20k plus in Grizzly woodworking machinery, and have seen no difference, except for a fancy polish job on the tables. Why pay all the extra money. I don't know for sure where Delta gets theirs, but dollar for dollar, in my opinion they don't measure up to Grizzly, Shop Fox, or Jet. Powermatic is way out their with their prices.

I've been using a HF 4x6 for over 20 years, and it's still running. Do the cuts I get with it have "Runouts +/- .001? Nope - never have. If you need those kinds of accuracies, don't buy a 4x6 from anyone. Most of the time, blade condition is the key to good cuts anyway. I like to ask myself what I really need the tool to do, and spend accordingly. My experience is that when I broke or bent or in general ruined a tool, it was because I was asking it to do something it wasn't designed to do.

Good luck, it is always a challange to find the right tools for you.

hardtailjohn
07-01-2005, 10:51 AM
I agree with Rick on the Grizzly stuff. I've been using them for about 15 years and am satisfied with everything I've had from them. I don't expect it to be perfect... but I've gotten some newer "made in USA" stuff and sent it back, as it was 4 times as expensive and no higher quality, if it was as high.
I tend to grab older machinery... like 50 years old... and there you will find the quality! I've got my Grizzly stuff to cut to 0, just takes tinkering.. and guess what.. my older stuff takes just as much! I just bought a new metal cutting bandsaw from Grizzly and am very pleased with it (model 9742)!
John H.

dribble
07-01-2005, 11:32 AM
hi there,We get the same sorts of machine down here in New Zealand as well,mine has been running well for a years except for one problem,the change over in drive angle is a worm and wheel and after cursing the cheap motor for cutting out I found that this drive had no grease in it,after this I pulled the machine apart and checked everything,the thing still runs fine.

Cheers dave

Troy
07-03-2005, 08:01 PM
Rivetgeek

Try going with an Ellis bandsaw. They are qaulity built usa bandsaws. They have many different sizes and most are horizontal/vertical. They cut great and the smaller ones are dry cutting. For the price the quality is amazing.

Troy

Peter Miles
07-04-2005, 07:43 PM
Rivit Geek - where are you located? there has been a DoAll 16" variable speed vertical saw advertised here in the Seattle area in the last week or two for $700.00.

Assuming that it is a functional machine, it would probably be a great saw for the money.

Peter Miles

Jeff Parker
07-05-2005, 07:00 AM
I just bought a Dayton from Graingers last year for about $950.00 Real nice, Quality piece.