PDA

View Full Version : looking for a lathe

cheeks
04-17-2005, 05:46 PM
im looking for a good cheap lathe that is some what easy to use . ive never use a lathe before so that is why id like to find a cheap one . ive looked at the small grizzly model but im not sure if its big enough or not . the things i would like to make are small dies for my english wheel and stuff of that nature . any help would be great thanks.

shawn mitchum

GoldCountryChoppers
04-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Shawn, I'm in the same boat looking for a small hobby/bench lathe, There are alot of smaller 6" (10" swing) atlas craftsmen on e-bay that usually fetch about $250.00. Excellent for small shop space!! as well as functional!!!

Matt..............

Gonejunking
04-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Hi guy's
I have one of those small Craftsman lathes (made by south bend). I like it for small parts that are no bigger then 3" dia. Anything bigger, I use my 16" lathe.
The biggest complaint I have with the small lathes, is the vibration. They don't have enough mass to offset the piece your working on. You get use to it, but it is something to think about. I got mine at an auction. Paid around $250. The nice thing was it came with LOTS of tooling!! I joke that I bought the tooling, and the lathe was free!

cheeks
04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
hey thanks guys for the info more would be great be cause ive never used one before and i dont want to make a bad purchase.

Gonejunking
04-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi cheeks! (real name?)
From what I've seen around the Seattle area, if you buy an old Craftsman or other US made small lathe, you can not lose! If after trying to use it, you don't like it, or need a bigger one, there will always be some one to take it off your hands, for the same price you paid for it!!!!! So it's almost free!

When I bought my Craftsman, it was mounted on a bench, with 3 drawers full of tooling! I don't think anyone looked in the drawers at the auction other then myself! In just the bottom drawer, was a toolpost grinder, milling attachment, radius cutter, and 3 drill chucks.

Also got lots of gears and lathe bits, for $250
for the whole lot!

So look around and buy one!
you won't be sorry
!

cheeks
04-19-2005, 04:39 PM
my name is shawn i seen where eveyone likes to use names so i ended my first post with it. i was looking on ebay and seen a craftsman lathe the only thing that worried me was the fact that it look old . my main concern was being able to find tooling for it . any info on that would be great . if i can find tooling for it i may bid on it . thanks

Jeff Parker
04-20-2005, 05:38 AM
Where are you from?

Gonejunking
04-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Hi Shawn
I wouldn't worry about "OLD" Craftsman lathes, you still can get parts for them, and tooling is the same for all small lathes. ( OK a few exceptions) I got some of my cutters from Grizzly, and others at the swap meet.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Links.htm

This site will give you more info on making things with a small lathe, then you will ever want!! It has links to hundreds of other sites.

cheeks
04-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks gonejunking for all the help i think am going to bid own a lathe later this week and thanks agian for all the help
Jeff im from gaston south carolina