PDA

View Full Version : need help indentifying a lathe and mill

wmm
02-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I located a 9x36 lathe with a label that read:
Machine World (Taiwan) Corp. mfg. date 1979 model ty-36. I can't find any info on it at all. Also he has a knee mill with absolutly no label or marking on it. He purchased both of them 4 years ago and never had any problems and knows nothing about them. He his asking 1500 for both. Should I take a chance? Im thinking if they last a year or two I will have learned how to operate them and if i should need parts and can't find i'll trash them? Am I goofy? input is needed.

kenklose
02-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm just getting in machining myself. I've never heard of Machine World either. Two thoughts for you:
1. I recently purchased an actual Bridgeport at auction for $1100. And have seen big iron lathes in decent shape go for as little as $400 at auction. Its the smaller lathes that command a premium since hobbiests fight over them. So if you spend some time looking and going to auctions you could find big name American and European machinery for roughly the same price.
2. Post your questions on board where the primary focus is machining. The Home Shop Machinist board http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/ubbs/Ultimate.cgi and the Practical Machinist board http://www.practicalmachinist.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi are both good.

rookie
02-12-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi wmm(?), For the price I'd say buy them! You could always get that much back out of them. Look at the prices that machinery goes for on E-bay.

All the best, Phil Gilmore (rookie)

metalchomper
02-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi ________, I bought a Shoptask lathe/mill combo in '94 for $550 with a ton of cutters and sold it last year (minus the cutters) for $650. I think buying small used hobbyist machines are a good investment. A few pics may help in identifying your machines.

wmm
02-14-2005, 02:55 PM
I bought them both for $1100 with a lot of tooling. I will take pic's and hopefully someone can identify them. I will pick them up on Tuesday night. thanks guys.

Kerry Pinkerton
02-14-2005, 05:16 PM
At that price, I doubt you hurt yourself at all :lol: Especially with tooling!

custommetal
02-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Now that these machines are yours forget about any thoughts if you did the right thing. The first thing to do after you get them in place and level them up, is to clean the machines and check the ways to see if they need any adjustments, there are adjustment screws for every axis. I don't care how cheap or no name the machine is. After that the spindle on the milling machine needs to be trammed with a dial indicator to make sure it is square with the table in the x-y direction. No need to drill angled holes. The lathe tail stock should also be indicated in.
After that it is just practice, practice,practice. Just remember the cardinal rule in a machine shop (yes you now have a machine shop). Respect at all times machines that spin, whir, grind, sand,cut, and burn as they have absolutly NO respect for you.
Good luck and if you need info on how to tram this equipment let me know.
George