PDA

View Full Version : small milling machines

andyz
02-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Missed a good deal on a Bridgeport miller today on Ebay. But anyways I know Bridgeorts are good machines but did anyone make smaller vertical milling machines that are of decent quality? I'm a hobbyist at this point but paying for little parts I need milled is getting expensive.

roberlt
02-09-2005, 05:15 PM
I don't have room for a Bridgeport so I got a Enco RF45 (dovetail column) mill drill and am happy with it.

It needed a good cleaning and I adapted a digital caliper to the quill downfeed because it was inaccurate but I am happy with it now.

Rob

custommetal
02-10-2005, 05:14 AM
Unless you have a restricted workspace, try to stick with the full size machine. The size and weight will make it easier to work with and a lot of tooling is available cheap as it requires no special collets or vises. Depending where you live, check with machinery dealers in the area. Also if watch the local paper for business auctions. In the northeast here, because of the poor economy, I've seem a lot of equipment sold for basically scrap weight, like $500 for a mill. Unless e-bay is close get to see the machine. What some people call great is really junk. One tip---look at the table of the mill, if it has holes in it from drilling, gouges in the bed, or a lot of dents on the surface from objects banging or dropping on it--stay away. It was mistreated and unless it is cheap, will probably be a problem. Like buying a car. If it's dented and torn up but runs good is it what you really want?
happy hunting
George

Gonejunking
02-10-2005, 07:29 AM
Clausing made a good small mill. They looked like the imports, but were 10 times better!!
The last time I saw one, it went for $1000. I was looking for one when I found my Bridgeport for $1100.
good luck

rsanter
02-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I am rather space constrained and have a bridgeport mill. what I did was to make a mobil base for it as a mill wants some free space around is which I otherwise could not afford. to use it all I have to do is pull out the wifes car and then pull the mill out a couple of feet and I am ready to go

bob

andyz
02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
All the Bridgeports I've seen have been getting $1800 or better. I will keep looking. Anyone have a link to auctions in Ct.?

Ernie Ferrucci
02-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Hi Andy

Where in CT are you? Have you checked Industrial Surplus, Inc., they are on the Berlin tnpk, Berlin, CT. Not an auction but pretty good inventory.

Ernie Ferrucci