PDA

View Full Version : belt sander

427fab
01-31-2005, 05:45 PM
A friend recently gave me an old belt/disc sander 12" disc with a 4"x36" belt.It was used for woodworking it has a Dayton 1/2 hp 1750 motorit was hooked up with a belt.The sander was mounted on a stool and the motor was mounted on the bottom with two inch pulleys on both ends.The sander barley spun,slipped a lot, but was good enough to sand wood.lots of slipping. I remounted the sander on a Rigid tool stand that I had .My problem is that no matter what I do the motor binds and pops a breaker.It will not spin.If I loosen the belt a lot it will free up but wont spin the sander. Do I need a start up capacitor motor.Iwas thinking one of of a compressor.Any ideas would be helpfull, Or am I wasting my time .P.S. how about a H.F. MOTOR or am I pushing it.Thanks Louie

snotzalot
01-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Speaking from experience, if it was used in a woodworking shop, the motor may be full of sawdust, try blowing it out.

427fab
01-31-2005, 06:30 PM
I tried that it did not work but thanks I just dont want to spend an arm and a leg for a sander f I could get this to work

tdoty
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Another important thing to check is that the bearings in the belt sander section are clean and spin freely - heck, that goes for every bearing in the machine. Does it spin easily by hand? If not, clean everything and lube it up before going any further. I have to do that basic "overhaul" to the sander at work about every 6 months or so.

Once everything turns nicely without the motor, the you can try the motor. If it spins by hand and not under power, try a different motor.

You can try your luck with the HF motors - never know :lol: .

HTH,

Tim D.

Gonejunking
01-31-2005, 06:39 PM
It sounds like the bearings are shot. If it spins with no load then stalls when you put the belt on, sounds like the bearings.
Just my 2c

427fab
01-31-2005, 06:43 PM
Thanks I will try another motor do you guys think an air compressor motor will work.What rpm should I use.

DougR
02-01-2005, 06:09 AM
Thanks I will try another motor do you guys think an air compressor motor will work.What rpm should I use.

Use a capacitor start motor. 1750 rpm would be okay. TEFC, totally enclosed fan cooled, is best where dust is a problem. You can size your drive pulleys by experimenting with how much speed the sander will handle and still keep the belt tracking.

Sanding belts can run pretty fast, how fast is a function of the quality of the sander. On my 6x48 Delta sanders the driven drum of the sander runs at 3600rpm, I think that drum is around 3"diameter. That speed works well for both metal and wood.

Doug

ralph
02-01-2005, 10:15 AM
chevyracer wrote:
do you guys think an air compressor motor will work.

Yes, depending on RPM. They are usually capacitor start. You also mght try the surplus center for a low cost motor.
www.surpluscenter.com/