PDA

View Full Version : Paint for lathe

TKD_Master38
12-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Hello,

New guy posting here for the first time. I recently acquired an Atlas 10" F series, and am in the process of taking it apart and cleaning it.

The lathe itself is that balleship gray and being career Army, no way I am going to have anything that color. :D The taper attachment is bile green, that has to go also.

Anyone out there have any experience with the types of paint that will hold up? I could shoot it with catalyzed automotive enamel, but that seems a bit over the top. Anyone ever used the hammer finish paints that come in a spray can? I painted my Craftsman tool box with that stuff 14 years ago and it still looks good.

Bruce

ralph
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the group. There are a few of us Atlas owners on the site. Secatim has his in an album here.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3289

You'll see his is black. Mine is equipment grey, not battleship grey :lol: another friend of mine has a dark blue one. Not sure if Tim's is repainted, but I know the grey and blue were factory.

Catalyzed Auto enamels are tough and will hold up but they're pricey. I've always used an alkyd enamel on my tools. It's a little softer and doesn't knick as easy. Remember your going to get all kinds of oils and cutting fluids on it. For that same reason I wouldn't recommend wrinkle finish. I painted a set of race engine rocker covers with it once and they held oil in all the wrinkles.

Kerry Pinkerton
12-14-2004, 04:04 AM
We paint our ewheels primarily with synthethic enamels with hardener. The hardener turns it into Urethane. (Isocynates warnings are appropriate).

I believe this would work well in an oily environment. We primarily use Rustoleum and paint from Tractor Supply. About 20 bucks a gallon. The hammertone from Rustoleum looks/works very well. You may notice that almost every import machine tool is painted hammertone green. You can get a gallon of similar paint from Sherwin Williams Commercial for about 20 bucks.

hardtailjohn
12-14-2004, 07:38 AM
I usually use paint that I get from Caterpillar. It's an alkyd enamel and it holds up excellent! The last gallon I got was $25, for black or white.
John H.

Mike Malott
12-14-2004, 10:04 AM
I have painted two lathes, a shaper and two milling machines with Grainger's Machine Gray enamel 6MT048, in rattle cans. It's economical, glossy, reasonably durable and easy to touch up!

Mike Malott

Duck
12-14-2004, 07:57 PM
I just finished painting my Bridgeport and Leblond lathe with rustoleum spray and roller. The paint came out smooth and looks quite good.
Easy to touch up and really inexpensive.
If you can get the colors you like you're all set.

Duck

captainkirk
12-15-2004, 03:33 AM
I have used the Rustolium(SP?) Commercial in both the grey and black, if you keep it mixed well and add thinner to keep it flowing well you can paint with a good quality brush and it will smooth out to a mirror finish that is very robust and resists oils very well. I have also use the Tractor Supply paint with the added hardner to paint my backhoe I built and it has been outside for over a year and shows no signs of deterioration, I would get a quart at Tractor Supply (farm tractor paint) and the hardner and spray it if I was doing one today, the finish is both chemical resistant and not prone to chip with the added bonus that it is cheap compared to automotive paints.