PDA

View Full Version : Middle East MM

weldoneinc
12-12-2004, 06:52 AM
No not Saudi Arabia. Central Va. (richmond )
i've decided to do it . A couple of Guys in town and around the state are interested. I plan it in January. The 15th is the only date i cannot do it. But Minnesota is that weekend so it works out . So i Need some input the weekend of the 8th, 22 nd or 29th. It will be at Weldone Inc 480-D Hylton Rd Richmond Va. 23238 . (804 - 784- 8860).It is right off of rt . 6 west side of Richmond The highway is close but hotels are not. One or two days does not matter it depends on who comes.
I have plenty of tools . ( pullmax .E-wheel etc. ).
James

Boogiemanz1
12-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Great James, good to see you taking the plunge!.......john

allen
12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
hi James , Allen here in wakefield, any day is good just let us know and i will be there

Allen

James Burts
12-13-2004, 12:20 PM
I'll also try to make it up to the event. It's only a 3 hour drive for me, so the only thing that would keep me away would be a schedule conflict.

--James--

weldoneinc
12-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Thanks John, It should be fun
After Giving it some thought I think the 22nd of jan. would be the best the 8th is too close to new years. I can have it sat . and sunday if we have enough interest.

Dick Bear
12-13-2004, 06:37 PM
The 22nd sounds good.

Count me in.

Dick Bear

slobitz18222
12-13-2004, 08:32 PM
Hell I may even be able to make that week-end

weldoneinc
12-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Great. Dick, Stan . I was hoping you all might make it. I will post directions soon .
James

dilling
12-14-2004, 10:43 AM
i will try too get there

Bill Firth
12-14-2004, 07:27 PM
James

count me in too

Bill

weldoneinc
12-19-2004, 02:50 PM
Ok here is the official post Meet at Weldone inc . 480-d Hylton rd Richmond Va 23238 -Jan 22/23 (804) 784-8860 . Bring whatever tools you would like, and projects. i've got some material. I will be there sat . 22 at 8 am till when ever. If it snows really bad i will be there.
Directions
From the north: Merge onto I-95 S toward RICHMOND.

10: Take the I-295 exit- EXIT 84B- toward CHARLOTTESVILLE.

11: Take the US-1 S exit on the LEFT toward RICHMOND. 0.2 miles Map

12: Merge onto I-295 N via the exit on the LEFT toward I-64 W/CHARLOTTESVILLE. 8.5 miles Map

13: Merge onto I-64 W via EXIT 53A toward CHARLOTTESVILLE. 2.4 miles Map

14: Merge onto VA-288 S. 4.9 miles

Take the Patterson ave exit Rt 6 East exit go a quarter mile till you see a luck stone mulch pile on rt. right past that is a gravel rd between two red brick buildings turn right.i will put a sign up go to the end i will be the last unit on rt.
From East or west
Get on I-64 to Richmond on the west side of Richmond
Merge onto VA-288 S. Take the Patterson ave exit Rt 6 East exit go a quarter mile till you see a luck stone mulch pile on rt. right past that is a gravel rd between two red brick buildings turn right.I will put a sign up go to the end i will be the last unit on rt.
From south
Get on I-95 North After Petersburg but before Richmond Find Va-288 NW Follow that around Richmond to the west side right after you cross the river
Take the Patterson ave exit Rt 6 East exit go a quarter mile till you see a luck stone mulch pile on rt. right past that is a gravel rd between two red brick buildings turn right.I will put a sign up go to the end i will be the last unit on rt.
I don't know what the closest hotel is but i will find out and post it .
James

captainkirk
12-19-2004, 03:27 PM
Yahoooooo,
I plan on attending. I'm only 2 hour north and would love to get some hands on training.

I have never attended one of these, how many days is in the plan and any ideas as to what to bring?
Kirk

weldoneinc
12-22-2004, 04:35 AM
Kirk, some time ago there was a post on what to bring to a meet . But bring safety glasses , i have ear plugs ,if you prefer muffs then bring them, gloves , a sharpie ,any hand tools you like (hammers dollys tuck tool .etc.) e-wheels if you can carry them , Pull max tooling and most of all a project in mind or something you have started . If you are a beginner try something small and easy like a fender or gas tank half . I have some material mostly alum. So if you are doing something steel you have to bring some.
What not to bring , Your KIds ,your dog ,your significant other that does not shape ( they will be board stiff) and bad attitudes.
James

sawzall
12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
james

phillip called me to let me know of your plans.. I am in! I'll be bringing my pal kieth and am looking forward to seeing my old friend stan.

have a great holiday

jeff "sawzall" yeagle

MichaelSBarker
12-24-2004, 05:00 AM
Good Morning and Happy Holidays,

James,

I am a novice and new to the site, so you haven't heard from me yet ;) If it is alright with you, I am going to do my best to show up at your MM, for at least the Saturday portion.

If the weather is extremely poor, I will have to forego the 3-4 hour drive.. and, as I work second shift 4 10's and sometimes an 8 on Friday, I won't risk the trip if I work that Friday... Life is too precious to take extra risks... 12 hr day (commute, work with dangerous toys, commute) followed by a 4 hr drive to play with dangerous toys.. to drive 4 hours home... (or more logically crash in a hotel and drive home sunday).... Its just not playing it safe...

Friday off, no snow.. I'm there ;)

-Michael

metalman0501
12-24-2004, 12:38 PM
I would like to come also The 8th would be better for me as I may be out of Country by 15th. Thanks, metalman0501

slobitz18222
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
James,
Did you decide yet if it would be one or two days?

weldoneinc
01-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes it will be both days (Jan 22,23) the usual 8am to midnight. I still have not checked out the hotel situation but my zip code is 23238 so i think you can do hotel .com or something and check . Also it was 76 deg and sonny yesterday a record high so that means in two weeks it will snow a foot or two.

MichaelSBarker
01-06-2005, 01:03 AM
I don't think I will be coming.. I was thinking Richmond was closer to me.. but it is actually 6 hrs away .... and on top of that I will be working 2nd shift the Friday before that weekend. Have fun everyone... -Michael

weldoneinc
01-06-2005, 04:33 AM
sorry you cant make it Michael. If anyone out there that is coming would like to bring there digital camera and take pics and post them i would apreciate it I dont think I will have time.
James

Dick Bear
01-06-2005, 09:50 PM
James,

I'll have a digital camera, as will others i'm sure. Is there anything else you need that I and others can drag along?

Make a list and we'll respond!

Dick Bear

weldoneinc
01-07-2005, 02:50 AM
I think i have everything the only doubt i have is that i have only two e-wheels i dont now of that will be enough if anone has a benchtop e-wheel they would like to bring.
James

Dick Bear
01-13-2005, 09:30 PM
James

I'm in the middle of a temper tantrum right now 'cause I won't be able to make the event!

Sorry, not because my presence would have added a great deal but because I was looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

I have a project that has to be completed by Tuesday night and if I take two days out of the schedule, it won't get done.

I know you'll all ahve a great time and learn a lot Wish I could be there too!!!!

Dick Bear

ralph
01-14-2005, 06:25 AM
You guys in the Va. area should look at this govt. liquidation auction scheduled to be closed 1/18. Metal working equipment galore. Power roll, bandsaws, sanders etc. One lot is listed as misc. cutter and rolls. I see two pextos one 3-4ft sheet metal roll, several stakes and a couple beverly shears!
url is:
http://www.govliquidation.com/list/e1259

weldoneinc
01-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Sorry you cant make it Dick Were going to miss you.
James

weldoneinc
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Everything is still a go ! I am going to clean and set up tomorrow to be ready for sat. We are expecting a little snow tonight (1") and sat morning to sun morning (?) but i will be here both days .
James

slobitz18222
01-20-2005, 01:44 PM
James,
I will most likely bring a friend, he does not consider himself a metal shaper but he has done some nice metal wotk with just hand tools. I`m glad he offerred to come he can help me with the 6 hour drive.

weldoneinc
01-22-2005, 08:19 PM
So far so good . Had a great time today even though the weather put a damper on things . I had about 10 people show up some are coming back tomorrow . Bill firth cut the trim section out of the center of a hood and re filled it . a couple guys made tanks and a few watched . I will post pics on monday. Stan i hope you can make a friend of mine brought a fiber glass bodied little kiddie midjit racer we could not identify had a weird gear reduced motor anf front tossion bar suspension with hairpins looked like for a five year old.
james

Boogiemanz1
01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
If you guys get snowed in you can get a lot done.....did the big snow reach that far?..................john

weldoneinc
01-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Well for us big snow means 2 " most people around here don't know how to handle it so you really don't get stuck you get caught in traffic . EG. last week was the first snow 1" happened in the middle of the day on a work day. In my county alone there where 300 accidents most all major roads were blocked. I know you guys up north just laugh at us .
James

Bill Firth
01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
James

GREAT MEET :D thanks again for all the help.
Wish I could have stayed for both days :cry: .
As far as snow being a problem,I had a hard time trying
to find a place open to get gas (closed due to weather) :shock:

Bill

Gene_Olson
01-23-2005, 09:10 PM
Well for us big snow means 2 " - - - In my county alone there where 300 accidents most all major roads were blocked. I know you guys up north just laugh at us .
James
James,
a couple days ago we had 5 in Minneapolis this was about the first real snowfall of the season. You would have thought they had never seen the stuff before. I have a 100 ft commute so it didn't make much difference to me, but a friend in Mpls said it took her 3 hrs to go about 3.5 miles home coming out of downtown. Somehow it never registers with the turkeys that 4wd can get you going, it can help you manuver, but when you go to stop your brakes and traction aren't any better than the next guys, and on ice, that is zilch.

G.

weldoneinc
01-24-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks to all , I had a great time . I am sorry some of you could not make it but i will probably do it again . I had about 12 show up all beginners to metalshaping . Wray and Dutch you would have been proud of me I don't have a planishing hammer and i used my pullmax once . It was all hammer and dolly work, e-wheel and gas welding all the basics and you know every one was suprised with what you can do with basic hand tools . No thumbnail shrinking just tuck shrinking and lancasters. I will post the pics in my gallery.
Janes

Kerry Pinkerton
01-24-2005, 09:58 AM
...Wray and Dutch you would have been proud of me I don't have a planishing hammer and i used my pullmax once . It was all hammer and dolly work, e-wheel and gas welding all the basics and you know every one was suprised with what you can do with basic hand tools . No thumbnail shrinking just tuck shrinking and lancasters. ... James

Thanks for hosting this meet James. You are correct, Wray and the other professional founders of this group are all about doing work with simple tools to learn the craft. After you master what it takes to make the metal behave the way you want it, then you can look at labor and time saving devices.

John Buffinton
01-18-2006, 04:22 AM
is there going to be another va metal meet in 2006?

weldoneinc
01-22-2006, 07:11 AM
I dont know yet Gator is having one in april in MD. I need to find a better time then feb. Maybe may or june .
james

John Buffinton
01-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Im in for one any time of the year. I would love to meet you guys and get some serious hands on.

John Buffinton
01-25-2006, 01:12 PM
what about memorial day weekend?

Peter Miles
01-25-2006, 05:27 PM
With my luck, I'm sure you will pick the weekend after my project at Ft. Monroe finishes! I don't know exactly when that will be, but probably before the end of April.

John Buffinton
04-15-2006, 08:32 PM
has there been any further progress on the meet? I think it would be great to have a meet in richmond.

Peter Miles
04-15-2006, 10:21 PM
John,

Gator is hosting a meet in Maryland two weeks from now.

See this thread:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?p=51755#post51755

btw - I poked around Ft. Eustis a few weekends ago. The Transportation Museum was interesting - I'll have to post some pictures sometime.

Peter

John Buffinton
04-16-2006, 06:57 AM
I know about gators meet i'll be there. but a closer one sometime this summer would be cool one to

weldoneinc
04-16-2006, 05:57 PM
John I am still thinking about it . My shop has been really buisy and full of cars lately . I will be at Gators in two weeks and will get a general idea of a date alot going on this summer but i think maybe memorial day weekend .It will be dead between Gators and Dutches in july .
James