PDA

View Full Version : 69 chevy truck

radmanrob
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
I have a complete 84 Corvette front and rear suspension, brakes and steering to put under my 69 chevy truck. I plan to use the factory Corvette front crossmember (aluminum) and transverse springs. A goal in this build is to remove weight from the front end. I see many builders use C4 suspension parts but not the spring. Also want to box in the frame (rivetted from factory). My questions are what gauge ,type steel should I get for boxing and fabricating. Any advice / ideas would be appreciated.
Engine will be LS1 and 4L60E Trans.
Radmanrob

Boogiemanz1
11-30-2004, 09:52 PM
Hello Rob, welcome to Metalmeet. Have you been through the site? I recall there was some galley photos that "The Spy" posted of some fabricated K-member type bracing he made. You may want to check that out.

I wouldn't think you would have to box much of the frame, 11 ga or 1/8 the will do for most of it.

Lots of welding and fabricating info on the site, good search engine too. If you intend to do this, why not take photos of everything as you go, and post them on the site. We need more "start to finish" projects.

I'm looking for a front end like you have for my truck, I thought only the A-arms were aluminum?...........john

Doug Hawkins
12-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi Rob,

For additional ideas on your conversion you might want to check out http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/sweetbracketry.htm. Bob at Progressive has a line of C4 'Vette installation kits.

Good luck with your project.

Prostreet
12-01-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi Radman
Hey boxing your frame is a good thing . Cold roll 10 or 11 gauge is plenty . Now I kinda favor boxing the whole frame (wich is not necessary) but will add strength thru out. but there are some factors to consider. One would be when you go to box your frame you need to tie it down to some type of fixture to keep it from moving out of alignment. Heat is a big factor here. so get your level out and your plum bobs and keep a watchful eye out . When you start your boxing tack all of them in place before welding any one in solid. this will stabilize the frame even more . then weld an inch or two at a time changing locations often ( left to right front to back) . giving time in between for cooling . but best while still warm .As far as any brackets I would suggest 3/16 at a minimum but most applications no more than 1/4 inch (use your discretion) .
We use mostly 3/16 for our sus-brackets but 1/4 inch for most shock mounts . Good luck and keep us posted Pictures would be great. :lol: :lol: Steve