PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar bending?

rides20
11-16-2004, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know if I could use a 12 ton hand opperated hydraulic bender (bottle jack like the ones on ebay)to make simple bends in 1 inch .120 wall tubing?..I would hate to spend the money and have it not work out!..Thanks!

Timmy_k
11-17-2004, 05:09 AM
Hi Dave.
The bender you are talking about is a pipe bender, not a tube bender. Pipe is measured by its I.D. and tube is measured by its O.D. The dies that come with that bender are for PIPE. I have bent 1" tube with one of these, but the results were not the best.

Gonejunking
11-17-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi Dave
I tried that bender a few times before I sold it. The main complaint that I had with it was, the marks it left. I called them ghost lines. At each end of the bend, the tube was 1", but in the bend it was 7/8". Look at exhaust pipe bends, they look the same. Save yourself the headache and find some tube mandrel's.

anders nřrgaard
11-17-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Dave,
I'm sure this will work for you.

Tube bending tool.
A few years ago, when I was tutoring mechanic apprentices, we built gocart chassis frames (1-1/16 x1/16 steel tube) . To do that, we had to develop a tube bender that wouldn’t leave a flat on the tube.
I’ll try to explain how it works;
The green disk can rotate around its center.
The “support roll” is necessary to prevent the red bar from bending.
The red bar is inside the tube to prevent flats. It must be adjustable back and forth. If it is too close to the disk, the disk can’t be rotated/turned. If it is too far away, a flat will develop on the tube.
The lock bolt presses a block with a semicircular hole to hold the tube firm against the disk.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/500/4433tube_bending_tool-med.jpg

When it is all set up, all you have to do is to insert a long pipe over the “locking arrangement” and turn the disk the proper ammount of degrees.

Hope you all understand, what I mean. My english isn't that good :oops:

Good luck.

Anders
DK