PDA

View Full Version : Gorton tracer mill

Aaron Franck
10-18-2004, 06:39 PM
Question for all the machinists and machine salvage guys. I bought a Gorton 3L tracer mill, from John Norton, that is missing the 3D arm. I called the company that bought out Gorton and they quoted me a price of $2000. :shock: After I came too, I asked them for a blueprint for the piece, they gave me some excuse about liability. :x My question is, does anyone know where I could get one, find measurements for one, or look for this information? Thanks for any help.

Aaron

Sam Lee
12-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Does it have the tracing head,and all you need is the arm ?

If so,it could probably be scaled from a photo.

Aaron Franck
12-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Sam,
Yes, it has the stylus. (tracing head) I've already started making the 3D arm from a drawing in the manual. There are no measurments, but I think I can guess close enough. I am however still missing the parts that attach the 3D arm to the spindle and stylus. Those maybe be a little more difficult to guess at and make.

Sam Lee
12-11-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand,
but I ran a tracing mill when I was an apprentice,over 15 years ago.

You need a way to adjust the tracing head left to right,
as well as up and down.It makes sense there would be a way to adjust it front to back as well,but I don't remember that part.

$2000 sounds like alot,but if it got you all the missing pieces,might not be a bad deal.

Boogiemanz1
12-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I see those on E-bay frequently for pretty low prices, you may want to bid on one and just have them ship you the parts you need, or they may have parts. Might talk them in to a few strategic photos on the assumption you are looking to bid/buy?...............john