PDA

View Full Version : HF 12" sander

SecaTim
09-24-2004, 03:19 PM
Hello All,
Does anyone have experience with the harbor Freight 12" direct drive sander? It is on sale for $99 :shock: but was wondering if it was any good.

Thanks
Tim 8)

Jared Walch
09-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Like anything you buy at Harbor Freight, don't plan on making a living using cheap import equipment.

With that said, I own one of these and I consider it a good tool for the price. Its a pretty simple machine, not much to go wrong. The only thing I don't like is the cheap aluminum table, but I plan building a steel one when the time comes.

They're cheap, don't take up much shop space and can save you hours of deburring time. I use 80 grit fabric back discs from Harbor Freight with good results. Don't waste your money on paper discs, not even for sanding wood.

Jared

Kerry Pinkerton
09-24-2004, 06:24 PM
I don't have that particular sander but I do have the 6x48 belt with the 9" disk sander. It's near worthless.

it seems to be hit and miss with their stuff. I have an 18 year old bandsaw that is just wonderful. So wonderful I bought another one a couple months back. It lasted a week. The replacement lasted a day, that replacement lasted an hour. All had motor failures. I just got my money back and will try again and hope for a better run of motors.

Troy
09-24-2004, 08:58 PM
you know I'm not an advocate for harbor freight but that is one thing I have bought there. I have used other 12'' sanders and other than the table it is a pretty good machine. The first thing I would do is huck the discs that come with it those wear out so quick it's not even worth the time to put it on. Order high end sandpaper and you will have a pretty good sander. With a little modification the table can be fixed. I have had mine for almost a year and it still works great.

Troy