PDA

View Full Version : Metal Shaping Tools

ericard
08-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone i am new to this site. I really like what i have read on here so far and find it very helpful. I am building a 1927 Essex Highboy and will need to do alot of metal forming, the roof being the largest seeings how it was wood a cloth in them days and will also be chopping it 3 inches. What i need help with right now is finding some metal forming equipment that will be easy for me to get here in Alberta Canada. I am looking for several items namely english wheel & planishing hammer to start. I have been trying to purchase one off ebay but never seem to get a final bit in and i am feeling like i am waisting my time on there. I read a post from Dutch Comstock advising someone to not waste their time on ebay because he could get one from the same or better price from someone in his area. Anyone know a place close to here that would not kill my pocket book for shipping.

Thanks

Ernie

Boogiemanz1
08-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Hi Eric, welcome to Metalmeet. Always glad to hear from the new members. Lots of stuff to see and read on this site.

On your English wheel purchase, I like dealing with folks that are members, and that contribute to the site . Kerry Pinkerton is such a person, and he builds some really good English wheels. Kerry lives down south, but is always running to different events.

Best recommendation I can make is to register for MM03 ( this years International Metalmeet at Robinson Ill. If you attend this week long event, not only will you be able to test drive a bunch of different equipment (there were 27 or 28 e-wheels there last year) but get instructions on their use by accomplished wheel men.

Another added feature at Meetmeet 04 is that you can save a ton of shippping on your purchases.

Interested? just register and pay a $50.00 fee to cover the whole week, and come on down! See you there......john

Richard K
08-22-2004, 03:09 AM
Ernie,

Hello and Welcome to Metalmeet. I do business with Kerry and am located in St. Paul Minnesota. I have a large bench wheel in stock, 26" throat. I also manufacture and sell the Shopdog power hammers.

I would be glad to help you fill your tool needs.

I will be going to Metalmeet and could haul whatever back to St. Paul for you. Clay Cook will be at Metalmeet and has about the finest planishing hammers anywhere. look at www.ccookenterprises.com

Jeff Parker
08-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Kerry's wheels are fantastic ! I have a 26" floor model

ericard
08-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the help!

I will try to get the time off to make the International Metal Meet that you mentioned Boogiemanz1, looks like a great event.

Richard i will be contacting you in regards to your powers hammers, looks like a good machine. Thank you for the offer to haul things back to where you are.

It is beyond me why nobody is selling these types of machines here in Canada, i know alot of people that would be interested.

Thanks
Ernie

Richard K
08-24-2004, 04:25 AM
Ernie,

Here is your chance to be the oldest metalshaping tool business in Canada.

pq55
08-24-2004, 04:53 AM
Hi Ernie,
you could check this website, he's in Ont. , i did buy some tool from him in the past.

http://www.kencotools.com/

Pat

Dutch Comstock
08-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Ernie, It would be best for you to come to a metalmeet so that you can better orient yourself to the different tools available and then you can try them out and decide which type best fit your needs. The used old time autobody hand held hammers on ebay have become way overpriced and usually are at least half wore out or more. For close to what you would have to pay on Ebay or less you could have one of Clay Cooks brand new updated air hammers or you could spend a little more and have a super stand hammer that you can use for a hand held air hammer when you need it.
For the ewheel Kerry has all of the dimensions of his wheel on this site and pictures of the assemblies and you could build your own frame and then just purchase the upper wheel and lower anvils. We understand how it hurts to exchange canadian for american dollars because of the poor exchange rate.
The most important thing about tools is not to get caught up in buying fancy tools untill you totally understand your own needs and the use of them and then you can have a tool purchase plan. Dutch

Jeff Parker
08-25-2004, 06:45 AM
Does Clay have a website or a catalog? I would like to make a plannishing hammer.

Wray Schelin
08-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Hi Jeff,

Look up four posts in this thread and you will see that Richard posted Clay's web site link , plus it is listed in the links section of this site. :D

Wray

Jeff Parker
08-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Oops! Sorry :oops:

Using the "new post since last visit" has corrupted me to look at just the last few posts. (I LOVE that feature!)

ericard
08-26-2004, 08:21 PM
I am really going to try to make it there. Does anyone know if there are rooms still available down there.

Cheers
Ernie

Wray Schelin
08-26-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi Ernie,

Read the posts in the MetalMeet04 forums and you will find most of the answers to your questions.

click here:

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=48

Wray