PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking Dies for Pullmax

Richard K
09-23-2003, 04:38 AM
I have been working to fabricate a set of working shrink dies for my pullmax type machine. Have had several failed attempts, and finally two sets that work.

In my search for the proper shape, I searched for pics and info on both the Metalshaping and Metalshapers web sites. Thanks to all those who posted pics and comments on their work.

Jim Bailie and Jacin Barnes both took time to discuss their experiences at shrinking. This was very helpful. Thanks very much, Jim and Jacin.

From speaking with Jim and Jacin and from my own attempts; it seems the way the dies are used and setup is at least as important as the shape of them.

I found I like my round die set best as it provides ample clearance to maneuver a small or tight shape.

http://www.metalmeet.com/photopost/data/3086/43IMG_1157-med.JPG?4274
See more photos of my dies in the Gallery

Keith
09-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Richard,

First off , nice looking machine you made.

Second, I like your die design. I bought a set of Pro Line Shrinking dies, they work great and are of great quality.

However, your compact design is great idea. If you were making a set of headlite buckets for example, you could easily shrink the edges with out causing flat spot in the curvature. I haven't tried shrinking any tight curves , but I think I would be limited from the sides of the dies I have. Of course a tucking tool would eliminate that problem with the proper post dolly.

Anyway great job.

Nortonscustom
11-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Richard,
Before getting started, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to answer my many questions about your mini pullmax machines at MetalMeet 03.

Is there a set size ratio between the pin size and the O.D. of the die body? Thanks

norton

Richard K
11-12-2003, 07:23 PM
I have not run into a relative sizing ratio. I do know that I made a set with a small pin (3/8") and it was not effective. I used 5/8" diameter at 17 degrees in my dies that work well.