PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of a Waco lathe?

metalchomper
06-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey all,
Just got a lead on a ~20" swing lathe and 50" between centers lathe. Has a cylindrical grinding attachment. Power feeds operate via variable speed motor. Missing the tailstock. Have not looked at it yet and am not sure if the name Waco is correct. Anyone ever heard of a Waco? Haven't been successful doing an internet search. Is it worth $800 if I can't find a manual or parts?

Thanks,
Brett

rsanter
06-10-2004, 12:28 PM
you need to evaluate how you think you will use the lathe. depending on your plans the misssing tail stock could inconvience you or kill you. that is likly what it is available for the price.

metalchomper
06-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Well, my father looked at it today. He couldn't figure out what is was either but said it was a piece of crap.
Thanks,
Brett

Jim Garvey
06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
When you look at a lathe there are several items that need to be checked. First look at the ways. Scoring, gouges are all signs of wear. Look a both screws. Compare the width of the screw at the tailstock end, to the screw by the headstock. If there is a visual difference in the width, that will indicate wear. Run the machine in all spindle speeds and feeds. If you can not hear it run then you could take the headstock cover off and examine the gears for damage. Accessories are expensive and can easily amount to as much or more than the cost of the lathe. Get the manuals and ask if the mfg is still in business.

metalchomper
06-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Thanks everybody for their input. Just got my new Grizzley G1440 lathe today. Talked to others who own the same lathe and got excellent feedback. This is a nice machine. Finally gave up on trying to find a decent used one for a decent price. The good used ones I found were almost twice as much and the Grizzley.
Thanks,