PDA

View Full Version : airplane kit accessories

mr.c
09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Wray just set up this airplane build kit forum to discuss ideas on how we might want to form the missing pieces of the kit. The wheels,prop,and prop spinner.
I have several ideas on how to make these parts. Several of these methods would be a first time experience. But that is part of the fun isn't it? The wheels and spinner could be formed by: spinning,hammerforming,pressforming,hydroforming,o r explosive forming or all of the above. I was thinking that the wheels really didn't need a rubber tire. They could be formed in aluminum in two pieces and welded together. The propeller could be made also from aluminum. I was thinking that a piece of aluminum tubing could be put through a hole in the spinner and then flattened on the ends to form the propeller. The tips welded and shaped.
Any other ideas? We need to decide so that any dies the we need can be made. I do have a CNC capable lathe and can do the CAD/CAM to make some simple dies. We need to know the size of the wheels and prop. Anyone have those?

mr.c
09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Wray just set up this airplane build kit forum to discuss ideas on how we might want to form the missing pieces of the kit. The wheels,prop,and prop spinner.
I have several ideas on how to make these parts. Several of these methods would be a first time experience. But that is part of the fun isn't it? The wheels and spinner could be formed by: spinning,hammerforming,pressforming,hydroforming,o r explosive forming or all of the above. I was thinking that the wheels really didn't need a rubber tire. They could be formed in aluminum in two pieces and welded together. The propeller could be made also from aluminum. I was thinking that a piece of aluminum tubing could be put through a hole in the spinner and then flattened on the ends to form the propeller. The tips welded and shaped.
Any other ideas? We need to decide so that any dies the we need can be made. I do have a CNC capable lathe and can do the CAD/CAM to make some simple dies. We need to know the size of the wheels and prop. Anyone have those?

Jay Hayes
09-15-2003, 05:40 PM
I have a vinyl cutter. I'm working on some graphics. logos, and tail numbers for the airplane kits. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.

Jay

Jay Hayes
09-15-2003, 05:40 PM
I have a vinyl cutter. I'm working on some graphics. logos, and tail numbers for the airplane kits. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions let me know.

Jay

sawzall
11-11-2003, 07:54 AM
guys, i was at metal meet and was amazed by the model airplane kit. I didnt realize that the props were not completed with the kit.

One method to reproduce the prop would be to use a router duplicator..
I never found one I could afford, so I built one of my own.. whats more, instead of using an electric motor like the commercial ones i built my duplicator with an air spindle.. it seems to work great and it would be very easy to duplicate the props after the first one was created.

good luck

sawzall
jeff yeagle

sawzall
11-11-2003, 07:54 AM
guys, i was at metal meet and was amazed by the model airplane kit. I didnt realize that the props were not completed with the kit.

One method to reproduce the prop would be to use a router duplicator..
I never found one I could afford, so I built one of my own.. whats more, instead of using an electric motor like the commercial ones i built my duplicator with an air spindle.. it seems to work great and it would be very easy to duplicate the props after the first one was created.

good luck

sawzall
jeff yeagle